The research process at Joseph A. Foran High School
Follow these links to help you locate information, present your work, and correctly cite your sources.
Overview of the Research & Writing Process
1. Determining topic & keyword
2. How to locate trustworthy, academic quality resources
- Choosing your resources
- How to locate books in the Foran Library
- How to locate academic quality electronic resources on the Media Center website
- How to locate databases and e-reference books (you'll need to use our Foran usernames & passwords)
- How to Locate and Evaluate academic quality websites
- What other resources does the Foran Library have that you may not have considered?
3. How to locate images, videos, and other materials that are NOT copyright protected: Creative Commons
4. How to avoid plagiarism
- Turnitin Plagarism Spectrum
- Purdue Owl plagiarism site and Avoiding Plagiarism info
- University of North Carolina plagiarism handout
- Rutgers "What Is Plagiarism" video
5. What kinds of technology tools can you possibly use to demonstrate your information?
6. How to create a document and Works Cited page in MLA format
7. How to create citations (in-text and Works Cited page)
- WHY do we Cite and HOW do we Cite
- NEW: Creating a Works Cited list using MLA8
- NEW: In-Text Citations in MLA8
Use Foran's learning expectations RUBRIC to assess your collaboration, critical thinking, communication, and creativity skills.
What you need to know about College Level Research (it also applies to research at Foran!)
Milford Public Schools Learning Expectations rubric (assesses Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Communication, & Creativity)