In Grade 2, students learn music by developing their musicianship skills as well as the full range of their intelligences. Through creativity and self-expression, students will continue to develop their musical aptitude. By engaging in these activities, the children will develop an understanding of their relationship with music and culture. Students will also have the opportunity to attend a live performance of a ballet.
Student Learning Objectives:
The student will:
1. sing: by rote; accompanied and unaccompanied; on pitch; with appropriate posture, expression, tone color, dynamics and phrasing; rhythmically, maintaining a steady tempo.
2. sing echo responses, call and response, and simple ostinati.
3. differentiate between song and speech.
4. respond to musical cues.
5. use melodic and percussion instruments to perform and/or create basic patterns and ostinati.
6. perform folk dance movements.
7. create lyrics.
8. create and arrange music and simple dramatizations to accompany songs and readings.
9. identify music symbols and traditional notation as used in text.
10. identify contrasts, l.e. fast/slow; loud/soft; high/low; same/different.
11. respond by moving, describing and answering questions.
12. develop listening skills through exposure to a variety of musical styles.
13. identify simple music forms.
14. identify instruments, including those of many cultures.
15. describe music using appropriate terminology.
16. identify ways in which the principles and subject matter of other disciplines taught in school are interrelated with those of music.
17. listen and respond to music of many styles, periods and cultures.
18. differentiate between solos and ensemble performance.
19. demonstrate proper audience etiquette.