Math, you either love it.... or hate it... but no matter which one you choose .... you have to use it everyday!!
When I was in 6th grade, I was definitely one of the HATE its.... A word problem would send me screaming down the hall... Fractions gave me hives and percents, well lets not even talk about those!! But here's the thing.... I very quickly realized that every single day .... several times a day I was going to be using it... So I worked at it... and i asked questions and I kept trying even when I thought " I will NEVER get this" and one day it just clicked..... Had I given up, I would probably not be here today!!
Some things to remember are:
You can't get better at math by reading the math book...
Studying for math means:
- picking examples from the book and doing them- then checking to see if you got it right ( ask your teacher, a friend, your parent, sometimes the book has certain answers in it!)
- using examples from class and putting new numbers into the problem to practice.
-making up a test for your parent and then correcting it to see if they got it right...
- have your parent make a test for you and then correct it...
- learning vocabulary-you can make flashcards for these!
When the teacher writes examples or words on the board...YOU need to copy it into your math notebook...
- I recommend a spiral notebook for math class to keep notes in order.
- Every time you take notes in class... put the date and the topic on top of your page.
- Use the pages of your notebook in order and for MATH only!!
- Anything that gets written on the board, should get written in your notes
- Even if you are embarrassed to ask during class ( although you shouldn't be... believe me EVERYONE has questions!!!)... if you have a question..see the teacher at the beginning or end of class... There is also Learning Center time... or before and after school.