1) Watch a wolf in pursuit of an elk: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/minute_thechase.htm
2) 1st Intro to Yellowstone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1371pVKleVo
3) 2nd Intro video: http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/travel-source/yellowstone-overview (won't play on a chrome book)
4) Use this link to watch the following videos: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/qa-wolves.htm
- “Why were wolves reintroduced to Yellowstone?”
- “How does the greater ecosystem benefit from having wolves?”
- "How have wolves affected the elk population?"
5) Click on the link and scroll down to the video "Inside Yellowstone - Beavers": https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/beaver.htm
6) Click on this link to learn more about beavers: http://video.cptv.org/video/3000779739/
7) Watch this video clip about wolves, elk and aspen: https://www.amnh.org/explore/science-bulletins/(watch)/bio/news/wolves-help-aspen-trees-grow
8) Learn more about Yellowstone's ecosystem and rivers: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/media/wolves-yellowstone/
9) You will not watch a video on this site. Scroll down and read about Yellowstone with and without wolves. Take notes on the relationships between most organisms and their connection to their environment. https://www.livingwithwolves.org/about-wolves/why-wolves-matter/
10) If you need additional information about different mammals, go to this link: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/mammals.htm
11) Not essential viewing but these two sections may be helpful:
- Trophic cascade
- Grazing and migration
cell station video 1: Make me genius
Cell parts quizzes:
- click on "play"
- click on "game"
Learn about cell structure and function and differences between types of cells or take a quiz: Biology4kids
cell video : Bill Nye
healthy plant with salt solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxouJUtEhE&list=PL933F4D318515DDD0&index=8
red blood cells: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRQLRO3dIp8
- focus on cell to the right
cell processes song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svbf40z5obE
Eggsperiment video clips:
- you need to log in
- type "cellular respiration" into the search box and then "click here to start movie"
Video 1: go to unitedstreaming.com:
- in the search box enter: Biology: The Science of Life: Making New Life: The Basics of Reproduction
- select the "full video"
- watch the first segment: "an introduction to reproduction"
- watch the second segment: "asexual and sexual reproduction"
Video 8: meiosis
Video 9: meiosis
Shows a cell going through the process:
http://phschool.com enter web code: cep 3023
a 3D trip into a cell and nucleus:
watch mitosis and the cell cycle (also choose "cell cycle" - which step is missing?):
1. Find out how similar other organisms' DNA is to humans: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/07/125-explore/shared-genes
2. Learn about DNA, genes, chromosomes: http://www.neok12.com/video/Genetics/zX57774078797d7564675a0a.htm
3. brainpop: overview of genes & eye color example: https://www.brainpop.com/science/cellularlifeandgenetics/genetics/
4. brainpop: DNA/genome/touches on cloning/genetic engineering: https://www.brainpop.com/science/cellularlifeandgenetics/dna/
5. Take a tour of a CSI forensics lab and then use your knowledge to help solve crimes: forensics.rice.edu
6. Use your family's phenotype to determine your offspring's eye color, learn about genetically modified foods, and ask a geneticist to answer a question you've been wondering about:
7. article that talks about basics, mutations, disease: http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/medical/about_genetics.html
8. cloning basics: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/tech/cloning/whatiscloning/
- search "circulatory system"
- select "circulatory system"
- watch any of these choices: circulatory system, heart, blood, blood pressure and cellular respiration
- select "build a body: circulatory system"
- search "respiratory system"
- select "respiratory system"
- watch any of these choices: respiratory system, asthma, cystic fibrosis
- select "build a body: respiratory system"
5. go to google and type in "unitedstreaming.com" and enter in the search box: "smoking: crystal ball" and watch this clip
practice learning the names of bones
anatomyarcade.com and choose “whack-a-bone”
more info on the skeletal system
1. go to google and type in "unitedstreaming.com" and watch these two videos:
- first, type in the search box: "the process of digestion" and watch this 13 min. video
- then, type in the search box: "follow your food" and do this interaction
2. This is not working on laptops or chrome books/We'll watch food move through the digestive system as a class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzl6M1YlU3w
Watch: - Recipes for Disaster: Contaminated Carbohydrates
- Recipes for Disaster: Bacteria BBQ
Station 3 – How to keep your food safe/create food safety slogan
- Video clip 1 (2 min. 25 sec.): http://www.eatright.org/resource/homefoodsafety/multimedia/videos/how-to-wash-fruits-and-vegetables-video
- Video clip 2 (1 min.): http://www.eatright.org/resource/homefoodsafety/multimedia/videos/separate-avoid-cross-contamination-motion-graphic-video
- Video clip 3 (1 min.): http://www.eatright.org/resource/homefoodsafety/multimedia/videos/preparing-foods-with-four-easy-steps-video
- Video clip 4 (3 min. 17 sec.):
Station 4 – Use the data to create a graph
Australian government site: http://www.bom.gov.au/tsunami/info/
good visual of how tsunami occurs and shows area affected by 2004 Japan tsunami:
lists tsunami events from 1700s until now:
good basic facts and visuals:
how to get to new Earth science book for glaciers, weathering, erosion Go to “my.hrw.com” Enter login name of "jjane46" and password of "p5d2x" Choose “Earth’s changing surface” Go to "book pages" Choose chapter 2, section 1 (weathering) Choose chapter 3 for erosion Chapter 3, section 3 for glaciers
earthquake locations, mapping, animation
-Click on “current quake report” tab to view locations of recent earthquakes.
-Click on “quake mapping” tab. You can select certain criteria and view it around the world. http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bin/quakes/mapscript/home.pl