In grade 1 students learn music by developing their musicianship skills as well as the full range of their intelligences. Through creativity and self-expression, students will continue to develop their musical aptitude. By engaging in these activities, the children will develop an understanding of their relationship with music and culture.
Student Learning Objectives:
The student will:
1. Sing: by rote; accompanied and unaccompanied; on pitch; with appropriate posture, expression, tone color, dynamics; rhythmically, maintaining a steady tempo.
2. Sing echo responses.
3. Differentiate between song and speech (sing and chant).
4. Use pitched and non-pitched instruments to perform easy rhythm patterns, easy melodic patterns, maintain steady tempo, expression and clap/play/echo responses.
5. Perform instrument parts while other children sing.
6. Perform simple folk dance movements.
7. Create lyrics to familiar songs.
8. Improvise simple melodic and rhythmic patterns.
9. Create simple dramatizations.
10. Choose a variety of sounds to accompany songs, short poems or stories.
11. Identify simple music symbols.
12. Identify contrasts, i.e., fast/slow, loud/soft, high/low, etc.
13. Respond by moving, answering questions, and describing.
14. Develop listening skills through exposure to a variety of musical styles, periods and cultures.
15. Identify band and orchestra instruments.
16. Identify similarities between other subjects and music, e.g., patterns in art, math and music.
17. Explain their personal preferences using appropriate music terminology.
18. Demonstrate proper audience etiquette.