Welcome to Meadowside School
MEADOWSIDE HAPPENINGS NEWSLETTER
Friday, December 6, 2013
Good afternoon Meadowside!
I hope you all enjoyed a great holiday weekend with your loved ones and are looking forward to the final push to the winter break.
First trimester report cards will be sent home this afternoon with your children. As you may remember from the letter we sent on November 13, Milford is beginning to shift our grading systems to represent standards-based mastery. Upon your review of the report card, you will see how teachers report reading progress looks different. Rather than teachers assigning a letter grade (A, B, C etc.) teachers are reporting student growth against a specific reading standard or skill. This information will better communicate whether or not your child is making adequate progress according to grade level goals and expectations. Additionally, this type of monitoring and reporting helps narrow our instructional focus to best support your child’s academic growth. Please take the time to review the reporting key as it explains how your child is progressing towards mastery of the reading standards. Thank you for your support as we venture towards full implementation of a standards-based reporting system.
Recently, the district has provided opportunities for parents to learn more about the Common Core State Standards and their impact on the instructional program here in Milford. These sessions were well received and resulted in good conversation around this shift in education. In the future, we will be offering parents workshops on the newly designed SBAC assessment which our students will be taking later this winter. The SBAC is not part of the Common Core but rather is an assessment tool used to gauge the effectiveness of our instructional program. More information on these informative sessions will be forthcoming after the holidays.
CONRAD’S CORNER – A MESSAGE FROM OUR TEACHER LEADER
Dear Meadowside Families,
Below are a few resources and pieces of information that you may find helpful for you and your child.
Meadowside Parent Survey
In an attempt to better serve the Meadowside students and community, a link to a brief electronic survey will be emailed to you next week. The hope is to gather information about a few areas that have been identified as school goals. The greater the number of participants, the more accurate a picture we can obtain regarding the effectiveness of various programs and approaches being implemented in the school. Your participation will be greatly appreciated and will help make Meadowside School an even better place!
What to Do if Your Child is a Bully
An interesting Wall Street Journal article with thoughtful tips and strategies for handling situations and helping your child if they've been accused of bullying.
Helping Your Child Develop A Healthy Sense of Self-Esteem
A great article outlining ways to help your child develop characteristics that help boost self-esteem.
Fun link for the week:
Check out this interactive spin on an old favorite.
Mr. Conrad's Website
In an attempt to help promote open communication between parents and Meadowside School, I have been continuously working on a website that parents and teachers can utilize. As it is mainly a resource site for the aforementioned, I would love to hear feedback and ideas for improvement to make it more useful.
Enjoy the weekend,
Meadowside Teacher Leader
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Drama Club Update - We will be taking registration forms until Dec. 13th (attached). Please send the completed form and payment in to school with your child, to the PTA mail box. If you have any questions please contact Martin Malin or Kory Maurati, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The drama club is an after school activity, once a week for 13 weeks. The final show is Friday April 4th, 2014. Rehearsals will start in January, with 3rd grade on Thursdays, 4th grade on Wednesdays and 5th grade on Tuesdays after school 3:15 - 5:00 p.m.
- Meadowside’s HEART and Soul club continued to collect gently used coats in support of Button Up Connecticut until December 11th.
- Meadowside’s after-school academy winter offerings are attached for your review.
- Calling All Minons! PTA’s movie night is scheduled for next Friday, December 13th at 6 p.m. in the all-purpose room. The feature presentation will be Despicable Me 2. See attached flyer.
- Student drop off – Please remember that drop off time for students is 8:00 a.m. Please do not drop children off at school before this time as there is no supervision and this can cause a serious safety issue. In the event that a student arrives to school before the 8 a.m. bell, we will contact parents and have the child picked up until we have staff on duty. Thank you for your support of this policy – if you have any questions, please contact me in the main office.
- Attention YMCA After-School Parents – Please remember to send in a note with you child letting us and the YMCA staff know that your child will not be attending the after-school child care program. Mrs. Purcell will collect the notes in the main office and deliver them to Y staff so they are aware that your child will not be in attendance. In the event that you forget to send in a note, please contact the Y staff directly at (203) 876-8474.
- We will continue collecting Capri Sun juice pouches in the lunchroom. All proceeds from our collection of these pouches go directly to the Meadowside School HEART Helpers club.
- Lost and Found – Please be sure to check the lost and found bin located in the main foyer regularly as it is overflowing with lost/misplaced items. Items that remain unclaimed at the end of the year, will be donated to a local charity.
- Early Dismissal Arrangements Reminder – Early dismissals should be for appointments that cannot be scheduled at any other times. Please send your child in to school with a note for early dismissal or bus/walker changes. The only obvious exception to this is in the case of a true emergency. If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact the main office.
- For safety reasons, the north lot (upper) is reserved for busses only between the hours of 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please use the lower lot for student drop off and visitor parking.
- The drop off lane in the south parking lot (near the playscapes) is not to be used as a parking space. Please use the parking lot if you intend on entering the building. Students should not be dropped off in the parking lot and expected to walk across the drop off lane – this creates a serious safety hazard.
- Student Attendance – As a reminder, parent and guardians of students who will be absent from school should call the main office to report the absence by 8:20 a.m. Also, according to Board policy (Attendance, 5113), all absences must be verified with a note. Attendance information can be accessed by logging on to the parent portal (through PowerSchool). Please be sure to check the code to be sure the specific date is coded correctly. For more information, please refer to the Milford Board of Education Parent and Student Handbook, page 23.
- Electronics Reminder – Please be reminded that all electronic devices (iPods, iPads, iTouch, MP3, PSP, GameBoys etc.) are not permitted in school (this includes the school bus). These devices create a distraction to the educational environment and are also subject to theft, damage and loss. Cell phones may be brought to school but must remain off in the child’s backpack. Tablets (Nooks, Kindles, iPad’s) may be brought to school for independent reading purposes with the permission of your child’s teacher. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact me here at school.
UPCOMING DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR
Friday, December 6th – First Trimester Report Cards sent home (TODAY)
Tuesday, December 10th – HEART Assembly
Tuesday, December 10th – Long Range Planning meeting
Wednesday, December 11th – Early Release Day for Teacher Collaborative Work – 1:05 p.m. dismissal
Friday, December 13th – Drama Club Registration Forms Due
Friday, December 13th – Meadowside Movie Night – All Purpose Room 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. (See attached)
Tuesday, December 17th – Fifth Grade Winter Concert – 9:30 a.m. at Meadowside; 6:30 p.m. at Law
Thursday, December 19th – Fifth Grade Holiday concert at Mathewson – 9:30 a.m.
Friday, December 20th – Meadowside School Holiday Sing-a-Long- 2 p.m. – All purpose room
Monday, December 23rd through Wednesday, January 1, 2014 – Holiday Break – No School
Thursday, January 2, 2014 – School Resumes at 8:25 a.m.
Thank you for your continued support of our school.
Have a great weekend!
Principal, Meadowside School
|Don't Forget These Important Files!|