Welcome to Meadowside School
Sunday, May 19, 1:00 PM
I hope you’re enjoying a great weekend! As we sprint towards the end of the year, there is a lot going on. Please be sure to add the below dates to your calendar. Now more than ever, your support of our school community makes a difference.
Lunch visits – Please note that due to the size of our lunch waves and our unrelenting focus on school safety, we need to restrict visitors having lunch with our children. I am sure you consider school safety a priority but if you have any questions, please contact me here at school.
REMINDER: As the weather heats up, I would like to again take this opportunity to address our dress code. Please be sure that you review the Board policy on appropriate dress here at school (Policy #5132, page 38 of the elementary handbook). If a student comes to school inappropriately dressed (short shorts, inappropriate shirt or flip flops) we will contact parents and ask that they bring a change of clothes for their child. We have no issue with students dressing comfortably we just don’t want them scantily clad! You may access the elementary handbook by clicking here for more information. If you have any question, please feel free to give me a call.
Please take note of the following events and happenings impacting the Meadowside School learning community. As you will note, there is a lot going on so please take the time to read through at least the first section of this message.
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- The 2013 – 2014 academic calendar has been approved by the Board of Education. You may access the calendar by clicking here
- The spring concert will take place this Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 9:30 a.m. (student presentation) and 6:30 p.m. at Jonathan Law.
- On Friday, May 24th Meadowside will hold a school wide fundraiser in support of the Sosa family. As you may recall, the Sosa’s lost their home and all their belongings in a devastating fire. In response, a group of students have designed S.O.S (Save our Sosa’s) day to support the family. Students and staff may donate $1.00 and wear anything neon – socks, hat, hair, shirt, shorts etc. It’s sure to be a bright day at Meadowside on Friday!
- Wednesday, May 29th and Wednesday, June 5th will be 1:05 p.m. early dismissal days for teacher collaborative work
- Sixth grade orientation- Please note the following dates for sixth grade orientation
- West Shore Middle School – Monday, June 3, 2013 – 6:30 p.m.
- Effective June 7, 2013 – Students will be unable to purchase lunch if they do not have case or money on their lunch account to cover purchases through the end of the school year. To find out balance information on your child’s account, please contact your school cafeteria or check mylunchmoney.com
- Put me in coach! The Mathewson/Meadowside afternoon at the Bridgeport Bluefish will take place on Sunday, June 9th. Game time is 1:05 p.m. Please return any ticket orders to the Meadowside main office. All orders must be received by Wednesday, May 29th. Please see the attached flier for registration information
- Orientation for incoming third graders (current second graders) is scheduled for Tuesday, June 11, 2013 from 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. here at Meadowside. More information can be found on the attached flyer.
- Information on class placements for the 2013 – 2014 school year is attached and gives information on accessing class placement electronically through PowerSchool.
- Student drop off – Please remember that drop off time for students is 8:00 a.m. Please do not drop children off at school before this time as there is no supervision and this can cause a serious safety issue. In the event that a student arrives to school before the 8 a.m. bell, we will contact parents and have the child picked up until we have staff on duty. Thank you for your support of this policy – if you have any questions, please contact me in the main office.
- Attention YMCA After-School Parents – Please remember to send in a note with you child letting us and the YMCA staff know that your child will not be attending the after-school child care program. Mrs. Purcell will collect the notes in the main office and deliver them to Y staff so they are aware that your child will not be in attendance. In the event that you forget to send in a note, please contact the Y staff directly at (203) 876-8474.
- In our continuing support of Bodie’s Place, we will be collecting Capri Sun juice pouches in the lunchroom. All proceeds from our collection of these pouches go directly to Bodie’s Place.
- Lost and Found – Please be sure to check the lost and found bin located in the main foyer regularly as it is overflowing with lost/misplaced items. Items that remain unclaimed at the end of the year, will be donated to a local charity.
- Early Dismissal Arrangements Reminder – Early dismissals should be for appointments that cannot be scheduled at any other times. Please send your child in to school with a note for early dismissal or bus/walker changes. The only obvious exception to this is in the case of a true emergency. If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact the main office.
- For safety reasons, the north lot (upper) is reserved for busses only between the hours of 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please use the lower lot for student drop off and visitor parking.
- The drop off lane in the south parking lot (near the playscapes) is not to be used as a parking space. Please use the parking lot if you intend on entering the building. Students should not be dropped off in the parking lot and expected to walk across the drop off lane – this creates a serious safety hazard.
- Student Attendance – As a reminder, parent and guardians of students who will be absent from school should call the main office to report the absence by 8:20 a.m. Also, according to Board policy (Attendance, 5113), all absences must be verified with a note. Attendance information can be accessed by logging on to the parent portal (through PowerSchool). Please be sure to check the code to be sure the specific date is coded correctly. For more information, please refer to the Milford Board of Education Parent and Student Handbook, page 23.
- Electronics Reminder – Please be reminded that all electronic devices (iPods, iPads, iTouch, MP3, PSP, GameBoys etc.) are not permitted in school (this includes the school bus). These devices create a distraction to the educational environment and are also subject to theft, damage and loss. Cell phones may be brought to school but must remain off in the child’s backpack. Tablets (Nooks, Kindles, iPad’s) may be brought to school for independent reading purposes with the permission of your child’s teacher. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact me here at school.
UPCOMING DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR
Thursday, May 23, 2013 – Grade 4 Spring concert at Law – 6:30 p.m.
Friday, May 24, 2013 – S.O.S (Save our Sosa’s) Day– wear any neon color for $1.00 to support the Sosa family
Monday, May 27, 2013 – No School in Observance of Memorial Day
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 – Early Release Day – 1:05 p.m. student dismissal
Monday, June 3, 2013 – West Shore Middle School – Sixth grade orientation – 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 5, 2013 – Early Release Day – 1:05 p.m. student dismissal
Thursday, June 6, 2013 – Monthly PTA meeting – 7 p.m. in the media center – child care provided –
installation of new officers and volunteer appreciation
Friday, June 7, 2013 – Breakfast with Dad
Sunday, June 9, 2013 – Mathewson/Meadowside at the Bluefish – 1:05 p.m. game time
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 – Third Grade Orientation – 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. in the all-purpose room
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 – Spirit Day!!
Thursday, June 20, 2013 – Fifth Grade Farewell!! (Early Dismissal Time – 1:05 p.m.)
Friday, June 21, 2013 – Last Day of School! – Nick Branca Memorial Kickball Game (Early Dismissal 1:05 p.m.)
Thank you for your continued support of our school - I hope you have a great week!