Dear Room 23 Parents,
To use Google products, students will use the following
Students will use the password convention below for logging onto computers and for logging into Google products:
- o Password: FIRST INITIAL last initial last 6 of school ID The first initial is UPPERCASE, the last initial is lowercase. For the student ID, most student IDs will start with a 9 added before their lunch code, all others would add an 8.
- o Example:
A student is named Timmy Avocado
His Gmail login would be: firstname.lastname@example.org
If his lunch ID is 12345, his new password for logging into the computer AND all Google products would be:Ta912345
1. Who can my student receive emails from and send emails to?
**Students have been told that this email cannot be used for emailing. The sole purpose is to log into and use Google Docs. **
However, only people (students and staff) with a milford.org email address. This includes ALL students grades 3-12 and ALL Milford Board of Ed staff (teachers, administrators, etc).
2. How can I monitor my student’s online activity with google products?
You will log in as them using their username and password?
3. Do they have any privacy?
NO! Everything they do is tracked and saved on Milford’s / Google’s server.
4. Can I link my Gmail to their Gmail?
No. Only milforded.org email addresses can communicate with one another.
5. How will I know when my student needs to go online vs. s/he wants to “play” with their Gmail?
When an assignment is posted, I will send an email to all of you first. Eventually they will have a weekly written response assignment to do and there will be a routine. When we start doing projects and collaborative work, you will receive a separate notification.
6. Does EVERY student have an email address and will they be using them?
Yes, an email address was created for every student but it’s use (or lack thereof) will depend on the teacher.
I have attached a link to the Acceptable Use Policy Video. The students have seen it in school but I highly recommend watching it with them at home to really help them understand the consequences of their actions.
Milford AUP Video
http://www.milforded.org/page.cfm?p=10645 (If the link above doesn’t work, copy and paste this URL into your browser search / URL bar)
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me.
OHS Room 23